University of Eastern Finland (Joensuu): Associate Professor (Tenure Track) – Physical Geography
The University of Eastern Finland is seeking for an Associate Professor (Tenure Track) in Physical Geography in Joensuu. The post will be filled for a four-year term starting on 1 August 2023 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application by 22 February 2023.
Role and salary
As our new Associate Professor (Tenure Track) in physical geography, you will be working in the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies on the Joensuu Campus.
The field of the post is physical geography, which aims to understand the diversity of geomorphologic, ecological, climate, and socio-ecological systems in different spatial and temporal scales, and the related interaction mechanisms in the changing environment.
The main responsibilities of Associate Professor are:
- to carry out and promote research in the field,
- to give teaching at all levels of education,
- to participate in project activities, in the acquisition of national and international research funding, and in international research networks,
- to participate in other activities of the department.
The post will be filled for a fixed term from 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2027. The post is filled for a fixed term due to it being a Tenure Track position. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the UEF staff.
External expert evaluations will be used in the filling of the position. After the experts have submitted their statements, the Appointments Committee preparing the recruitment will interview the applicant.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. The Associate Professor position is based on level 7 of the job requirement scheme for teaching and research staff (€4,092.29/month). In addition to the job requirement component, the salary is supplemented by a personal performance component, which is 6–50% of the job requirement component.
In the currently vacant position, the Tenure Track can be entered from the Associate Professor level onwards. At the end of the term, the merits of the person will be evaluated to determine whether they can proceed to the next level of the Tenure Track, i.e., be appointed as a Professor without a public notice of vacancy. The criteria, objectives and results to be achieved during the term in order to proceed to the next level of the Tenure Track will be agreed in detail with the appointee when signing the contract of employment. The procedure by which an associate professor is invited to a professorship is based on expert statements.
Our requirements and expectations
We expect you to
- hold a suitable doctoral degree, have good teaching skills, and have the prerequisites to fulfil the qualification requirements of a Professor by the end of the Tenure Track term,
- have extensive and innovative methodological expertise on, e.g., geospatial modelling and machine learning, big data, and data mining methods,
- have expertise in developing teaching in physical geography,
- be fluent in the English language and to be able to supervise students and teach in English.
The following will be considered merits
- scientific publications and other scientifically valuable research findings,
- provide proof of track record of acquiring external funding,
- teaching experience,
- experience in university-level supervision,
- other achievements in teaching and supervision,
- proficiency in Finnish.
According to section 1 of the Government Decree on Universities (770/2009), teaching and research staff at universities are required to have proficiency in the language in which they shall provide instruction, either Finnish or Swedish. Command of the language of instruction can be demonstrated in a manner defined in the University Regulations of the University of Eastern Finland. When filling a post of professor, the Rector may grant an exemption from the language proficiency requirements laid down in the Government Decree on Universities. When filling other teaching and research posts, the Dean of the faculty may grant an exemption from the language proficiency requirements laid down in the Government Decree on Universities.
The evaluation of teaching skills follows the instructions of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies, according to which the good teaching skills required for the post are primarily verified based on merits specified in the teaching portfolio. In addition to other application documents, the person invited to the post must submit a teaching portfolio compiled in accordance with the instructions. If the good teaching skills required for the post cannot be verified based on the teaching portfolio, the person proposed to the position may be invited to give a trial lecture. In connection to the evaluation of teaching skills and if otherwise considered necessary, the Appointments Committee may interview the applicant.
We offer you
- an opportunity to work in an interesting/meaningful/diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community
- flexible multi-location work
- UEF staff benefits, that include comprehensive occupational health care, extensive provision of staff training, affordable lunch in our campus restaurants, Sykettä sports services, and a bike benefit.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 22 February 2023 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
1) a curriculum vitae (curriculum vitae template for researchers, https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
2) a portfolio of teaching merits (in accordance with the faculty’s instructions,www.uef.fi/en/open-positions)
3) a complete list of publications compiled in accordance with the Ministry of Education and Culture’s classification, https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
4) a work plan (max. 3 pages), in which the applicant makes a research proposal for the next four years (including the acquisition of external funding and development of a research group) should they be appointed, and describes how they intend to achieve the merits required for promotion to a professorship in the Tenure Track.
5) selected publications (up to 10) with which the applicant wishes to demonstrate their qualification and merits for the position. The applicant may also include manuscripts that have not yet been approved for publication but are in the final stages of the evaluation process. The publications must be submitted electronically.
6) a list of selected publications
7) copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates / diplomas
8) copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates / diplomas.
Documents (excluding publications) should be submitted in English in case international experts are used to assess the applicant’s qualification and merits.
For further information, please contact Professor Timo Kumpula, puh +358 29 445 5140, email email@example.com
Queries related to the application and the application procedure should be addressed to Executive Head of Administration Marko Junkkarinen, tel. +358 29 445 8426, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Financial and Human Resources Coordinator Tuula Ranne, tel. + 358 29 445 5245, email email@example.com
University of Eastern Finland, the Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies and the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies in brief
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We have a staff of 3,200 members, and our academic community comprises around 16,000 degree students. Our campuses are located in Joensuu and in Kuopio. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all. To learn more about our university please visit our website at www.uef.fi/en. On our website, you’ll also find information about the university as a work community and as an employer (https://www.uef.fi/en/article/one-university-a-thousand-stories), as well as our employees’ career stories (https://www.uef.fi/en/career-stories).
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies operates on two campuses of the University of Eastern Finland – in Joensuu and Kuopio. The faculty trains experts in the fields of history, geography, economics and business administration, law, social sciences, and social and health management. The faculty’s research is closely linked to the research areas identified in the university’s strategy. The faculty has 4,480 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students and approximately 500 postgraduate students actively pursuing their studies. The faculty has 550 staff members. https://www.uef.fi/en/faculty-of-social-sciences-and-business-studies
The Department of Geographical and Historical Studies carries out research addressing the use of natural resources, environmental changes, well-being and cultural interactions in border and peripheral areas, and their geographical, social and historical dynamics of development. The high level of education provided by the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies is based on the above-mentioned research, serving as a foundation for the development of the students’ analytical and critical skills. The department’s research activities offer its staff a means to actively participate in social debate. Department of Geographical and Historical Studies