The Centre for East European and International Studies is seeking to fill the position of
Postdoctoral researcher (m/f/div)
for the ZOiS-based Data Laboratory linked to the research network Cooperation and Conflict in Eastern Europe: The Consequences of the Reconfiguration of Political, Economic, and Social Spaces since the End of the Cold War (KonKoop), subject to funding approval by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). The full-time position is for a fixed period of four years, starting on 1 April 2022. The salary is based on the E13 salary scale of the German collective agreement for the civil service (TVöD). The postdoctoral researcher will manage the Data Lab, support researchers across the network, and contribute to the analysis of the data collected as part of the network projects.
The Centre for East European and International Studies (ZOiS) is an independent, international, publicly funded research institute. It focuses on socially relevant academic research on Eastern Europe and shares the results with policymakers, the media and the wider public.
The ZOiS-based Data Laboratory is a central hub of the KonKoop research network. The partner institutions within this network are: Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies in Regensburg (IOS), Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography in Leipzig (IfL), Leibniz Centre for Contemporary History in Potsdam (ZZF), Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU Jena), and Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development (HNEE).
This multi-local and interdisciplinary research network focuses on the dynamics of conflict and cooperation in Eastern Europe, Southeast Europe, the South Caucasus and Central Asia. The empirical data gathered in the context of individual projects within the network are combined in a Multi-Method Data Laboratory at ZOiS and a Laboratory for Multi-Perspective Peace and Conflict Cartography at IfL.
Qualifications and requirements
- Completed PhD in Political Science, Sociology or a related social science discipline
- Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods (incl. good knowledge of software packages) and a genuine interest in mixed-method research and critical reflection about data collection/analysis
- Experience of data management
- Good communication skills, incl. excellent written and spoken English-language skills (German is not a prerequisite); additional proficiency in a language spoken in the research region is an asset.
- Interest in working in a large team and an interdisciplinary research environment
- Research/work experience in Eastern Europe, Southeast Europe or Eurasia is an asset.
- Publication(s) in international journals with peer-review is/are an asset.
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications – regardless of gender, nationality, ethnicity, social origin, religion/belief, disability, age and sexual orientation and identity. Applications from women and applicants with a migration background are strongly encouraged. Applicants with recognised disabilities will be considered with priority if they are equally suited to the position.
Please send your application with a complete set of documents (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, proof of qualifications) until 16 January 2022 solely by email to bewerbung(at)zois-berlin(dot)de. Please combine your documents into one pdf document (max 6 MB) and state KonKoop/Postdoc as the reference. Please contact Emily Kleine for any further questions: emily.kleine(at)zois-berlin(dot)de