The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.09.2022 of a
at the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy to 31.01.2023.
Reference number: 12223
We are looking for a visiting professor for the Faculty’s thematic areas ANTHROPOSPHERE or ENVIRONMENT. The Ida Pfeiffer Professorship of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy supports the mission of the Faculty to research on the sustainability of planet Earth. We are looking for a top scientist that can trigger exciting insights and act as a catalyser for the diverse research topics of the Faculty. The visiting professor will have access to the Faculty’s state-of-the-art facilities and will be associated with our third mission activities. We are the „Faculty for Exploration“, and regard exploration as a scientific adventure. With 5 bachelor’s programs, 10 master’s programs and doctoral studies in 7 fields we are hosting 4,500 students. Our 33 professorships and tenure track-professorships contribute to four thematic areas: ANTHROPOSPHERE, COSMOS, EARTH, ENVIRONMENT.
Duration of employment: 5 month/s
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: Univ Prof. (KV) Gastprof. with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Job Description: We are looking for a visiting professor for our thematic areas ANTHROPOSPHERE or ENVIRONMENT to contribute valuably in research and teaching (including independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement / supervision of students).
– Doctoral degree / PhD in a subject field relevant to the thematic areas ANTHROPOSPHERE or ENVIRONMENT, and post-doctoral experience
– Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation, proven success in acquiring third-party funding
– Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level), and to promote young academic colleagues
– Excellent command of written and spoken English – Proactive, creative, and willing to work in a team
Application documents (in English):
– Letter of motivation (here, we would appreciate in particular 0,5 – 1 page about your ideas for your stay as Ida Pfeiffer Professor)
– Academic curriculum vitae – Description of research interests and research agenda
– Lists of publications, talks given, acquired third-party funds
– Overview of previous academic teaching
– Copies of certificates
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 08.10.2021, mentioning reference number 12223.
For further information please contact Alves, Joao +43-1-4277-53810.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Job description (PDF)